International Curators Program x PHOTO 2021 International Festival of Photography Industry Gathering, 3 March 2021
Hosted by Elias Redstone, Artistic Director, PHOTO 2021 & Thea Baumann, Senior Manager, International Development, Australia Council.
Welcome to Country by Wurundjeri Elder Aunty Georgina Nicholson.
Keynote artist talks by Hayley Millar-Baker, Eliza Hutchison and Hoda Afshar.
EXPLORE THE PHOTO 2021 PROGRAM
The Australia Council for the Arts is pleased to announce the international curators participating in the International Curators Program x PHOTO 2021 International Festival of Photography.
The Australia Council’s International Curators Program showcases art and artists here in Australia to international tastemakers.
The aims of the program are to raise the profile of Australia’s contemporary artists and curatorial expertise, demonstrate Australia’s growing regional engagement, and develop long-term relationships which will enable new partnerships, collaborations and market development.
Influential curators from around the globe are invited to experience a series of major Australian contemporary art exhibitions, and join a busy parallel program of studio and gallery visits, talks, performances, artist meetings and industry networking events.
In 2021, the International Curators Program will be held virtually for the first time, in partnership with the inaugural PHOTO International Festival of Photography, Melbourne.
Australia Council’s Head of Visual Arts, Mikala Tai said Australian artists work without borders.
“This current pause in international travel should not be a barrier to artists establishing new and valuable international curatorial connections. The Australia Council is proud to partner with PHOTO 2021 to create space for international exchange, facilitating industry conversations and experimental networking. Innovative international collaboration in arts & culture is essential to maintaining Australia’s international reputation at a time of significant global uncertainty,” Tai said.
International Curators Program x PHOTO 2021 International Festival of Photography
18 February – 7 March 2021
- Mariama ATTAH, Curator, Open Eye Gallery / LOOK Biennial, Liverpool
- BI Xin, Executive Director, Chronus Art Center, Shanghai
- Christine BARTHE, Senior Curator, Head of the photographic collection, musee du quai Branly-Jacques Chirac, Paris
- FEI Jun, Professor, Art+Technology Program, School of Design, Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing
- Varun GUPTA, Co-Founder & Biennale Director, Chennai Photo Biennale, Chennai
- Alona PARDO, Curator, Barbican Art Gallery, London
- Kathrin SCHÖNEGG, Curator, C/O Berlin, Berlin
- Mark SEALY, Director, Autograph ABP, London
- YAMADA Yuri, Curator, Tokyo Photographic Art Museum, Tokyo.
Photo caption: Hoda Afshar, Agonistes (still), 2020, 1-channel digital video, colour, sound © the artist. Courtesy the artist and Milani Gallery
International Curators Program Industry Gathering – 3 March, 2021 7:30pm-10:00pm AEDT
- Hayley Millar-Baker
- Eliza Hutchison
- Hoda Afshar
Speed Artist Studio Visits – Participating artists:
- Paola Balla
- Christian Capurro
- Peta Clancy
- Michael Cook
- Lauren Dunn
- Robert Fielding
- Amos Gebhardt
- Kate Golding
- Shea Kirk
- Rosemary Laing
- Ali McCann
- James Nguyen
- Izabela Pluta
- Patrick Pound
- Raphaela Rosella
- Leyla Stevens
- Justine Varga
- Amanda Williams
- Grace Wood
International Curators Program Closing Party feature artist:
- Atong Atem
- Q&A with Varun Gupta
- Q&A with Mariama Attah
- Q&A with Alona Pardo
- Landscape as a Metaphor by Varun Gupta
- Digital Natives by Fei Jun
- Political Stories, Alternative Views by Alona Pardo
- Africa and the African Diaspora by Mark Sealy
- Perceptions/Reconstructions, about photography by Christine Barthe
The International Curators Program is delivered in partnership with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT).