EMPAC, New York
Applications are now closed.
Applications close: Tuesday 22 October 2019 at midnight AEDT
Location: Troy, New York, USA
Art form: Emerging and experimental arts
Length of residency: Up to 2 stages of 1-3 weeks (up to 6 weeks in total)
- July 2020 – June 2021 (final dates to be negotiated with EMPAC)
Grant amount: $10,000
Website: EMPAC, New York
Information Pack: learn more about the studio, accommodation, local area, and travel arrangements by downloading the information pack.
Guidelines: read the guidelines for information on assessment criteria, the selection process, support material, and how to submit an application.
Technical and administrative support will not be available after 5pm on the closing date.
The Curtis R. Priem Experimental Media and Performing Arts Center (EMPAC) is a world-class facility bringing together artistic innovation and scientific discovery at the intersection of the digital and experiential domains in order to move into, and support, new realms of culture, inquiry, research and learning. Located in upstate New York, on the campus of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, EMPAC hosts artists and researchers year-round to create and present work.
EMPAC supports residencies in all areas of inter, multi and single media; fixed media; performance; and interactive practice. Their work is focused on time-based arts, with an emphasis on integrating technology as artistic means and an integral part of the content-based development of a project.
An EMPAC residency can take many forms. Most often, the major contribution is time and space. In this scenario, the residency primarily supports the development of a project in a focused environment with feedback from the curatorial staff. EMPAC’s residency program provides an environment that supports the realisation of complex works at any stage from inception to completion. Along with a state-of-the-art facility, it offers residents the support of a staff of experts in audio, video, interactive interfaces, and stage technologies.
This is a project-based residency. A project at EMPAC may spread across two residencies within a 12-month period to allow further development in between the residencies. Each residency can be between one and three weeks in duration. The grant amount is reflective of a two stage residency and covers the cost of two return flights to New York plus a living allowance. For a single stage visit to EMPAC the grant amount will be adjusted accordingly.
Accommodation and workspace
The Resident will receive accommodation in an apartment near the EMPAC campus.
Access and Inclusion
EMPAC’s building, its venues, studios and back-of-house spaces are fully accessible. Access needs to living quarters during a residency can be accommodated.
- Tim Bruniges
- Camila Galaz
- Justin Shoulder
- Mish Grigor
- Rachel Arianne Ogle
- Benjamin Cisterne
- Luke Smiles
- Caroline Garcia
- Guidelines: advice to help with your application for a residency.
- Frequently asked questions: answers to common questions about residencies and grants.
- Tips and Links: resources to help strengthen your application and maximise your residency experience.
- Information pack: Download PDF.
- Information pack: Download RTF.
- Acme London Residency
- Mordant Family x Creative Australia Affiliated Fellowship at the American Academy in Rome
- BR Whiting Studio residency, Rome
- Cité Internationale des Arts Residency
- Debra Porch Award: Visual Arts Residency
- Keesing Studio residency at the Cité internationale des arts
- Künstlerhaus Bethanien
- Kyoto Art Center Residency Exchange
- Nashville Songwriters’ Residency