The Arts Participation surveys give robust and detailed information on how Australians participate in the arts and their attitudes to the arts, to help the arts sector understand its audiences and policy makers understand its value to the public.
Analysis of the 2009 survey, published in the report More than bums on seats, paints a positive picture. Overall nine in ten Australians participate in the arts (either by making art themselves or attending) and attitudes towards the arts are increasingly positive. Some key findings are:
- The arts are strongly supported by the community
- Attitudes towards the arts are increasingly positive.
- The internet is now a key tool for the arts.
- Interest in Indigenous arts is growing
- There are significant opportunities to build arts audiences.